January 27, 2013

Hahei Beach

( In case you were wondering: The Coromandel Peninsula was named for HMS Coromandel, a ship of the British Royal Navy, which stopped at Coromandel Harbour in 1820 to purchase kauri spars and was itself named for India's Coromandel Coast.)

Right next to Cathedral Cove is a beach named Hahei.  It is a a long beach and pretty wide. There were lots of families playing that day.  They were jumping the waves or playing in the sand.  We saw four young girls, maybe 11 or 12 that were being buried by their fathers and then they were sculpted into mermaids.  I did not think I should take a picture since they were all there.  Guess I could have asked but didn't think of it.

There must be some weird currents or something.  Notice how the waves have carved the sand. And notice how many people there are on the sand.


We walked the entire length to one end and then returned to the other and back.  This is just a neat formation we passed as we were walking.  Just to the side of this there were kids swinging on a rope swing.  


Here he is down by the rocks again. On the other side in Cathedral Cove.  Just to give you a lay of the land so to speak. You can see the size of the rocks when you see how small he looks!


And the next photo is way at the other end of the beach.  It was not very busy because the waves were smaller, probably protected by the rocks or currents.  


One of my grandkids asked if I can seen a jelly fish. Well I got to see them at Hahei.  They were all over the place.  Someone told me that they were small ones.  There are two photos below.  One is with the jelly fish on the sand and the other one I am holding.  


You have to look hard to see it.  This was about the size of a golf ball.  Some were smaller and some larger but not any bigger than a small grapefruit.  I then decided that I wanted to know what it felt like so I picked it up.  It looked like it would be pliable but it was not.  It was not hard like a rock but I don't think I could bend it.  It was cool to the touch and smooth.  (Yes, I know what it looks like. I have seem enough shows on TV to not know.)


The beach does not have a dock so people bring their little boats on small carriers that they can pull themselves or they use these trackers.  There were three of them sitting right next to each other.  


Most of the trees in the background are the ones that get the red flowers on them at Christmas time. It would have been a pretty sight!


No comments:

Post a Comment